Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Religion Part One

I was baptised Catholic like my mother but, I was raised in the United Methodist church like my father. I grew up believing that god answered prayers and I remember many nights praying that my bedroom would be full of Cabbage Patch dolls when I woke up. We were semi regular church goers and at one point both my parent's got really involved in the church. I think I was a junior in high school when they went through that faze and they stopped drinking alcohol for a year. I remember thinking it was funny that I drank and my parent's didn't. My sister and I were active in the youth group and we did a lot of fun things. During one of the youth pastor's talks he said that god does not like gray, you are either black or white. I remember thinking that I was gray, I would party Saturday night and go to church Sunday morning. I could not be one or the other so I just went along thinking that I would be a good christian one day. We went on a youth group trip down to La Paz to build a church and my whole family went too. On the last night we got to stay in a hotel instead of the church and we had some free time to wander the city. My sister and I, along with some friends went to a liquor store and bought a bottle of Tequila. We got so drunk that night we even managed to get the youth group president who had never drank before to join us. Three of us were throwing up all night and it was just a mess the next morning trying to get to the airport. I don't think my parent's knew at the time what went on but we did tell them at some point. After I graduated from High School I pretty much stopped going to church until I met Mike, my first real boyfriend. I don't remember how active we were but we did go to church together. I went to a big non denominational church a few times to check it out but I was not that into it. So anyway I spent my early 20's for the most part inactive but thinking that I would eventually got back once I had kids. Part two tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I am a little scared/curious to see where this is going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just hit me too, I was raised catholic but drifted - how do you explain Easter to a toddler? I'm curious about part 2 as well!

    ReplyDelete