Monday, November 17, 2008

tact

Growing up I was always a little odd. I got along fine with people, but I had very few really close friends. I was not one of those people who others are drawn to and want to be around with a magnetic personality. I was the person who asked the inappropriate questions and never knew when to stop. I always knew I was odd, but could not put my finger on what it was until I met Jason. One night after a few months of dating he told me that I had no tact. It really hit me and it was like a light went off and I finally realized what it was I was lacking. Since that night I have been working on it and I am better, but not as good as I want to be. Shoot, I just sent off a ranting email that I should have just deleted, so yeah I have some work to do. Anyway, I was inspired by Julia to look at my old yearbooks and I came across this one message that I have to share. This was in my junior year annual and written by my sister's senior year boyfriend.

Natalie,
I am really glad I met you this year. I've gotta say that you are a very straightforward person. You say thing how you see them, and you don't kiss any ass. I like that in a person. This summer, let's me and you and a bunch of friends go out to the river and drink cases of beer with your dad (just kidding Mr Carlson). Shauna can stay home if she can't handle the intense party. I know this sounds trite, but lets definitely do something over the summer.

Love Peter M.

PS
you can come up to UCLA and party when Shauna comes up.



He also left his phone number and drawing of an MGD can, my drink of choice back then apparently.

What he said was true about me and thankfully I have been able to control myself more as I have aged and made an effort to do so. My friends and family still know if they want an honest opinion I give it and can't lie very well.

2 comments:

  1. Ummm, weird that you brought him up and even linked us to his picture.
    You have gotten better Natalie. You have more friends then anybody I know so you must be doing something right. You just need to work on your ordering in restaurants- you always crack me up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree, you don't have any problems attracting people. It's good to be both honest and straight forward.

    ReplyDelete